Digital marketing for e-commerce companies

Thanks to today’s technology, it has never been easier for consumers to buy a product or service over the internet. E-commerce is increasing year after year and today has a turnover of approximately USD 2.8 trillion. By 2020, the statistics show that over 2 billion people will use e-commerce.

The challenge that most e-commerce companies face is how to make themselves visible to their target audience. Consumers today have access to all possible information to make sure they make an informed decision about any purchase. So it is important to show them exactly how your company can solve their needs. Having a strong brand is important because customers are already looking for your products and by using digital marketing, this will help make your e-commerce company visible to your target audience.

How e-commerce companies benefit from digital marketing

Building a strong brand and getting more qualified leads to your online store is a challenge. Digital marketing has shown to be the most powerful form of marketing for your e-commerce company when it comes to transforming the way you reach and engage with your audience. With the right strategies and effective implementation, you will increase you brand awareness, reach and conversion in a matter of months. It is important to focus on the right kind of marketing that will increase your chances of success.

Here are a few results that your company will obtain:

  • Strong relationship with your customers through more personal communication and campaigns
  • Satisfied customers contribute to spreading your product awareness about your company
  • Increased web traffic and more quality leads translate into new and repeat sales
  • Easy to keep track of your campaigns performance and overall conversion rate to make appropriate optimization improvements

5 digital marketing strategies for e-commerce companies

1. Search engine optimization (SEO)

In order to be visible online, it is important to have a well-functioning website. By working with SEO and knowing what your target audience is looking for is valuable for them to be able to find you. Digital tools streamline the process of reaching the right person at the right time. Thanks to this, your salespeople can focus their time on hot leads to increase their chances of getting a sale.

Just focusing on paying to increase your traffic is costly in the long run. Instead, by investing in SEO, you get “free organic” traffic. Investing in an effective SEO strategy means that your company becomes more competitive and can challenge the larger companies in your industry.

2. Search engine marketing (SEM) & Retargeting

SEM means that you pay to get more traffic to your website. It’s a smart way to be seen on Google, Bing, LinkedIn or Facebook. Targeting specifically to your target audience increases your chances of getting more customers while your brand gets greater exposure. SEM gives your company quick results and statistics show that visitors who come to your website via a PPC link have 1.5 times more chance to convert.

Less than 2% of your web traffic converts on their first visit but with the help of retargeting you can reach out to the remaining 98% of the traffic that left your website. Retargeting ads are a great way to influence both new and recurring visitors, it also reduces the chance that the visitor abandons their shopping cart.

3. Content marketing

In order for your customers to find you, you must have relevant content they are looking for. By having clear content, it helps your visitors find the right product or service, and you increase your chances of converting your visitors into customers. Statistics show, among other things, that 60% of customers like to read relevant information from a brand and 90% find personalized content useful.

4. Social media

In order to build a strong brand and reach out to your target audience, you need to be where they are. Through social media, your company can reach out with different kinds of communications and promotional offers that your followers appreciate. Remember to not only use social media when you want to sell something. Building a strong and long-lasting relationship with your customers is important and by sharing information that is of interest to them is a perfect way to maintain a healthy relationship.

5. Analytics

Analytics can help you get in touch with your customers by showing you important data and getting feedback to improve your marketing campaigns. Analytics gives e-commerce companies a deeper understanding of customer habits and preferences. This in turn allows you to improve your website content and creates more effective campaigns.